Friday, May 13, 2011

El Avion

13 April
A couple snapshots of my life: it’s pretty normal here to clean out your ears with keys or matchsticks. I tried it once just to see what the big deal was. It wasn’t very comfortable. I also tried some sort of smoked meat today, just a bite, and couldn’t help but show my distaste and gave the rest back. All the more for Señora Luz. For breakfast she gave me a type of potato called a carrot in castellano because of its shape. It was served with cheese that had a crusty shell from being kept out so long, but was surprisingly agreeable at first. That was right after the breakfast of fish stew, potatoes, and oatmeal that I ate at my own house. Around 7 tonight my stomach body slammed me onto the bed. Then I ate a couple bananas and was fine.

Ykno they do that same airplane trick to make kids eat their food? And they also say "numero uno" y "numero dos" for going to the bathroom. Are these customs that humans create in isolation; natural habits all cultures will inevitably arrive at? Or are they birthed from one culture and borrowed from the others, flown across oceans in media to arrive on foreign tongues.

11 May
Since then I soaked in the throes of a sierra winter, floated and tumbled in the rocky waters of Máncora for spring break 96, and took my campo project president buddy to a workshop in Lima where he indulged in ample electricity, toilets, showers, water taps, colored pencils, and action movies. He ended up staying four days extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment